The beginnings as a shrine of Shukuin Tongu lie in 1816, as the midpoint on the
ritual procession of the kami from Sumiyoshi Taisha. A shrine from Otori
Taisha was also later relocated to Shukuin Tongu, and so two kami are now
worshipped here. Annual events include exchanges with Otori Taisha on
July 31 and Sumiyoshi Taisha on August 1, during which a famous ritual is
performed at the Iigai moat in the grounds.
Legends about this moat state that a mythical bead with the power to call
the tides was buried here, and now it never fills with water no matter how
much rain falls.
2-1-6 Shukuinchohigashi, Sakai-ku, Sakai shi
Alight at "Shukuin Station" on the Hankai Line
The Iigai moat located inside the grounds of Shukuin Tongu can also be viewed from the outside.
Related Sightseeing Spots
Spot Access Ranking