This statue was placed in front of the Ohama Aquarium in 1903 for the Domestic Industrial Exhibition. Although it was loved as a symbol of peace and prosperity, and even given the nickname "the maiden," it was removed when the aquarium closed down. Then, in the year 2000, it was finally restored on the Kitahato seawall to commemorate the 110th anniversary of the incorporation of Sakai.
In 1903, at the time of the fifth Domestic Industrial Exhibition, this statue was placed in front of the Ohama Aquarium, which at the time was the largest in the Orient and the Sakai venue for the event. After the exhibition finished, both the statue and the aquarium were bequeathed to Sakai City, and the statue become loved as a symbol of peace and prosperity, and given the nickname "the maiden." However, due to factors such as the construction of the coastal industrial zone and the effects of Typhoon Nancy in 1961, the now defunct aquarium was eventually dismantled and the statue removed along with it.
Then, in July of 2000, when the vicinity of the old Sakai port became the venue for the World Folk Art Festival "Washoi! 2000," the statue was finally restored on the Kitahato seawall to commemorate the 110th anniversary of the incorporation of Sakai. A 10m bronze maiden stands on a stone-clad base 16m in height.
Kitahatocho, Sakai-ku, Sakai shi
Alight at "Sakai Station" on the Nankai Line
Ohama Park Parking Lot: Charged 265 passenger cars (first 2 hours 200 yen, 100 yen per subsequent hour, maximum 600 yen) 3 buses / large vehicles (1,000 yen per day)
Related Sightseeing Spots
Spot Access Ranking